Monday, May 04, 2009

The F progamming Language

My suggestion that C++ should split in two prompted an e-mail from Robin Williams. It seems there have been similar thoughts in the Fortran community about extensions to that language. The result is the F programming language.

Its not clear whether F is an active language or whether it is a moribund experiment. As Robin pointed out, one could consider Fortran 77 as the simpler version of Fortran.

I suppose a similar thing could happen with C++, people don’t have to use the new standard, they could just stick with C++ 1998. Hopefully some compiler vendors will offer a switch to switch off the C++ 200x features.

Or of course, we could just stick with C.

I was contact by a company a few weeks ago looking for some Agile and Test Driven Development training. At first my heart sank when they said they still had a lot of code in Pascal, or rather Object Pascal (Borland 7). But in the last couple of weeks I’ve been wondering if that’s a good thing.

I used to program in Borland (Object) Pascal 7 and it was a nice language. Sure we didn’t have meta-templates or reflection but it could do most of what I wanted without half the complications of modern C++, Java or C#.