Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ed Yourdon on Agile

Ed Yourdon seems to have fallen off my radar so far this century. Last century I read a lot of his stuff and came to respect him as a man who knows what he’s talking about when it comes to IT and software development.

(If you haven’t heard of him, or don’t believe me just look at the list of books he’s written.)

I recently discovered that he has a blog, and from there that he has recently been to the Agile 2010 conference. In fact it appears that the whole Agile thing has, to a large part, passed him by.

The really interesting thing are some of his comments on Agile from this blog posting:

  • ‘My overall impression is that “agile” (and its variations, such as scrum and XP) are now entering the “mainstream” of computer systems development’
  • ‘there’s still a lot of hype and exaggeration, along with a non-trivial amount of myth and folklore and general silliness. But when you strip away all of this, there is a very solid, and extremely well-documented, core of practical system development guidelines, concepts, strategies, and hard-won lessons that every practitioner in our field needs to know about.’

I’m happy to find myself agreeing with Ed, and even happier that the voice more experience sees it the same way I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.